SCOPE OF DPT
- Doctors of Physical Therapy are granted Grade 17 upon starting a job in the Government owned Organizations and Hospitals.
- They start as demonstrators or lecturers in the teaching field and can subsequently become Assistant Professors, Associate Professors and Professors in the teaching field.
- They can do independent Practice under license from Pakistan Physical Therapy Association.
- Internationally they are provided jobs in clinics, hospitals, education and research fields.
- They can establish their own Rehabilitation Centers Nationally or Internationally.
- At present the DPT degree holders have a much better chance of getting jobs or carrying on private practice as it is a new field and very few qualified people are available.
- In Pakistan DPT is a growing profession as it was only started during the year 2008 before which the highest available qualification in the Physical Rehabilitation field was a BS Degree.
SCHEME OF STUDIES FOR 5-YEARS
DOCTOR OF PHYSICAL THERAPY (DPT) PROGRAMME
|SEMESTER/YEAR||NAME OF SUBJECT||CREDITS|
|FIRST PROFESSIONAL YEAR|
|ENGLISH-I (FUNCTIONAL ENGLISH||2(2-0)|
|ENGLISH-II (COMMUNICATION SKILLS)||3(3-0)|
|ISLAMIC STUDIES / ETHICS||2(2-0)|
|BIOSTATISTICS-II / UNI OPTIONAL||3(3-0)|
|THIRD||SECOND PROFESSIONAL YEAR THIRD|
|ENGLISH-III ((Technical Writing &Presentation Skills)||3(3-0)|
|INTRODUCTION TO COMPUTER||3(2-1)|
|BIOMECHANICS & ERGONOMICS-I||3(3-0)|
|BIOCHEMISTRY & GENETICS I||2(2-0)|
|FOURTH||ANATOMY-IV (Neuro Anatomy)||3(2-1)|
|BIOMECHANICS & ERGONOMICS-II||3(2-1)|
|BEHAVIORAL SCIENCES(Psychiatry & Psychology)||3(3-0)|
|BIOCHEMISTRY& GENETICS II||2(2-0)|
|FIFTH||THIRD PROFESSIONAL YEAR FIFTH|
|PATHOLOGY & MICROBIOLOGY I)||2(2-0|
|PHYSICAL AGENTS & ELECTROTHERAPY I||3(2-1)|
|THERAPEUTIC EXERCISES& TECHNIQUES||3(2-1)|
|HEALTH & WELLNESS||2(2-0)|
|SUPERVISED CLINICAL PRACTICE I||3(0-3)|
|SIXTH||PATHOLOGY & MICROBIOLOGY II||3(2-1)|
|PHYSICAL AGENTS & ELECTROTHERAPY -II||3(2-1)|
|TEACHING METHODOLOGY &COMMUNITY MEDICINE||3(3-0)|
|SUPERVISED CLINICAL PRACTICE II||3(0-3)|
|SEVENTH||FOURTH PROFESSIONAL YEAR|
|RADIOLOGY & DIAGNOSTIC IMAGING||3(2-1)|
|HUMAN GROWTH, DEVELOPMENT &COMMUNITY BASED REHABILITATION||2(2-0)|
|SUPERVISED CLINICAL PRACTICE III||3(0-3)|
|NEUROLOGICAL PHYSICAL THERAPY||3(2-1)|
|EVIDENCE BASED PRACTICE||3(2-1)|
|PROSTHETICS & ORTHOTICS||2(2-0)|
|SUPERVISED CLINICAL PRACTICE IV||3(0-3)|
|NINTH||FIFTH PROFESSIONAL YEAR NINTH|
|CARDIOPULMONARY PHYSICAL THERAPY||3(2-1)|
|EMERGENCY PROCEDURES & PRIMARYCARE IN PHYSICAL THERAPY||2(2-0)|
|CLINICAL DECISION MAKING &DIFFERENTIAL DIAGNOSIS||3(3-0)|
|SCIENTIFIC INQUIRY & RESEARCHMETHODOLOGY||3(2-1)|
|PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE(LAWS , ETHICS &ADMINISTRATION)||2(2-0)|
|INTEGUMENTRY PHYSICAL THERAPY||2(2-0)|
|SUPERVISED CLINICAL PRACTICE V||3(0-3)|
|TENTH||OBSTETRICS & GYNAECOLOGICALPHYSICAL THERAPY||2(2-0)|
|PAEDIATRIC PHYSICAL THERAPY||2(2-0)|
|GERONTOLOGY & GERIATRIC PHYSICALTHERAPY||2(2-0)|
|SPORTS PHYSICAL THERAPY||2(2-0)|
|SUPERVISED CLINICAL PRACTICE VI||4(0-4)|
TOTAL CREDITS 175
- This scheme of curriculum is also applicable to annual system; in which two consecutive semesters will be considered as one professional year.
- Credit hours distribution is as following:
- Theory: one credit hour shall be equal to one hour of teaching per week throughout the semester.
- Practical / lab: one credit hour shall be equal to two hours of lab work per week throughout the semester.
- Clinical: one credit hour shall be equal to three hours of clinical work per week throughout the semester.
- Research: One credit hour shall be equal to three hours of research work per week throughout the semester.
One year of house job will be incorporated at the end of five year degree programme.